Senior Software Engineer; Platform
Posted on Tuesday, April 4, 2023
Beam was founded in 2012 by three engineers who saw the opportunity to modernize the dental benefits industry using technology. The first product was the Beam Brush, which was one of the earliest examples of the Internet of Things in healthcare.
Today, Beam Benefits is available in 40+ states and has expanded beyond dental. Beam is now simplifying and modernizing a robust suite of ancillary employee benefits through an intuitive digital platform, self-service tools, AI-powered pricing, support from Beam’s helpful representatives, and a unique Beam Perks™ rewards program. This winning combination allows us to deliver a simple, smart, and wellness-focused experience for brokers, employers, and members.
Joining Beam Benefits Means
• Working in a complex and dynamic business, simultaneously operating across insurance, CPG manufacturing, IoT, and dental services
• Being supported and encouraged to improve every day by working collaboratively with a diversely skilled team
• Engaging in an energizing, committed, and fun work environment
• Being empowered as an ‘owner’ of your subject matter and work
• Joining in our mission to forever change the way people access benefit
• Being a person of high character, high EQ, and amazing talent
What We're Looking For
Beam is looking for Senior Software Engineers with a passion for building user-focused projects in an agile environment. Our engineers get the opportunity to work throughout our broad product allowing them to work with a diverse set of technologies and shipping code at a regular cadence. We also look to our senior developers to be good mentors for their fellow engineers and contribute their experiences to our development and product processes.
What You Will Bring
You’re an experienced engineer with a passion for people and products. You're excited to work closely with partners in Product, Design and other Software Engineers to fully own and rapidly iterate on your projects. You are always striving to improve yourself, your team, the product, and the company. You love learning by digging into code alongside your team and strive to ensure we deliver quality products. You have a history of leveling up your teammates and thrive in a collaborative environment.
What You Will Do
- Regularly ship high-quality code.
- Act as a technical advisor for your team to continually improve the quality of our code and products.
- Mentor fellow engineers to help level up the overall knowledge of the team.
- Propose and implement architectural solutions to ensure the continued improvement of our tech stack.
- Propose and implement developer tools to improve the development process and developer’s experience at Beam.
- Regularly evaluate the performance and scalability of our platform and work with our developers to follow and implement best practices.
- Own portions of our agile processes.
What Technical Skills Will Help You Be Successful
- Bachelor’s in Computer Science or related field
- 5+ years of experience building scalable Ruby on Rails
- Experience with React, React Testing Library, NextJS, and TypeScript
- Experience with deployment platforms (AWS, Heroku, etc..)
- Expertise in building secure, tested REST API's.
- Relational DB schema design experience.
- An excellent understanding of CS fundamentals: data structures, design patterns, etc.
- An understanding of container orchestration tools (Kubernetes, Amazon EKS, etc.)
- An understanding of infrastructure-as-code concepts and tools (Terraform, Ansible, AWS CloudFormation, etc.)
Visa sponsorship or transfer not available for this position.
Beam believes a diverse and inclusive environment is key to building a great company and a great product. We are committed to creating an environment that is welcoming for people of all backgrounds, and encourage everyone to apply. Beam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
See more open positions at Beam Dental
Something looks off?