Assistant General Counsel (Employment Law)
We believe in a world where growth thrives across borders and cultures. That’s why our Founder Rick Hammell started Atlas, coining the term Employer of Record (EOR) simultaneously. As an EOR, Atlas employs people to work for companies anywhere in the world. Before we came along, the only businesses offering a similar solution were essentially brokers. They’d outsource your HR and payroll services to third-party providers in different countries. Today, we’re the only 100% Direct EOR in the world, partnering with clients to get to market 82% faster, at a reduced cost, and with lower risk through local expertise in over 160 countries.
Atlas technology powers the idea that companies can employ whoever they want, wherever they are in the world. Through our cloud-based platform, we deliver the Human Resources infrastructure that underpins international growth, leaving companies free to focus on the strategy that makes it happen. We partner with our clients through their international life cycle from the first dip in the global pool until the moment it’s time to set up their own entities and run payroll. Atlas is here from point A to point Z.
The future of work is borderless, and so are we. So, it helps that our people are located around the globe — in the US, UK, India, China and beyond — and speak 90+ languages. Diversity and inclusion are at our core.
Atlas invests in Environment, Social and Governance initiatives through our impact program. Impact is central to our vision as a business and at the heart of our culture. Through impact we are addressing our environmental impact for society, for the planet and for our long-term success. Employee wellness, diversity and charitable activities are at the core of our social responsibility. Impact ensures Corporate Governance operates ethically and responsibly while preserving our customers and employees’ trust.
We are looking to expand our team by hiring an Assistant General Counsel-Employment Law, Americas, a leader and team player who is ready to make the role their own and bring their own ideas and innovations to the table. Reporting to the Vice President/General Counsel- Employment Law, you will head our Americas Employment Law function, lead a team of highly skilled professionals and work closely with our HR Service Delivery, Client Success, Payroll and Global Mobility teams to support Atlas’s various businesses, functions and clients in over 165 countries.
- Provide practical sound legal advice and counsel in a timely manner to stakeholders in the business on all employment law issues across Canada, the United States, Mexico, LATAM and the Caribbean.
- Draft and negotiate employment contracts and termination agreements; manage compensation, leave and benefits issues; and handle due diligence and legal compliance considerations relative to our Employer of Record (EOR) Services.
- Lead, manage and develop a team of highly skilled legal professionals across the region.
- Strategically and cost-effectively manage and partner with outside counsel in employment litigation and other contested matters.
- Support internal Operations questions regarding employment law matters to ensure alignment across the Operations Function.
- This role will be largely client facing where you will need to closely liaise with our key clients while working closely with the other functions within Operations and leading a team to ensure client centricity and best-in-class legal support.
- You are in good standing in all jurisdictions where admitted.
- You have 7+ years of relevant experience in international employment law.
- You have a strong command of international employment laws, regulations, and best practices, particularly within the Americas regions.
- You have substantive experience drafting and negotiating employment agreements both domestically and internationally and can work autonomously in a remote environment.
- You have an established track-record of constructively partnering across functions and geographies.
- You have experience leading teams and developing talent, preferably across multiple geographies.
What We Value
- You have excellent written and verbal communications, relationship skills and business acumen.
- You have strong fluency in English (other languages a plus).
- You possess a strong work ethic; are creative, proactive, enthusiastic, flexible, self-directed, a self-starter and a team player.
- You are agile, practical, commercial, and have a solution-oriented/ problem-solving approach.
- You have the ability to exercise sound judgment in an ever changing and dynamic industry.
- You can quickly identify risks and clearly convey business forward advice in plain terms that allow stakeholders to make fully informed decisions.
What We Offer
- The opportunity to work with a purpose — simplifying global expansion while supporting sustainable communities around the world
- A diverse and inclusive environment, with over 40 nationalities represented, 90+ languages spoken, and a workforce made up of 52% women
- Flexible PTO and birthdays off
- Growth and development opportunities with access to Coursera – a leading learning and certification provider
- The opportunity to challenge yourself in a high-performing organization and leave each day knowing you have made an impact.
This position description may not describe all duties, responsibilities, and skills associated with this position. It is intended to portray the major aspects of the job. Other duties or skills may be required.
Atlas Technology Solutions, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Atlas is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Atlas are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Atlas will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Atlas encourages applicants of all ages.
This role may be subject to a background check after an employment offer has been made and final employment will be subjective to a positive result, in addition, reference may be requested at the final stage of the process.