Actuary / Staff Risk Analyst
At-Bay combines world-class technology with industry-leading insurance to help clients meet risk head-on. Partnering with brokers and business owners alike, we provide modern insurance products and active risk monitoring services for companies of every size and in every industry. Our team boasts many backgrounds and skills, from analysts and developers to designers and underwriters, and everything in between — all working together to redefine what it means to be an insurance company.
We’re proud to be a diverse company and to have expertise from multiple industries driving our culture. At-Bay is expanding rapidly, and as we grow, we’re prioritizing inclusive hiring practices and supportive team environments. We’re committed to building a company culture where people of all identities and backgrounds are empowered to thrive, develop their career, and bring their full self to work.
At-Bay is a globally distributed company with hubs in Atlanta, New York City, San Francisco, and Tel Aviv. To date, we have raised $292 million in funding from Acrew Capital, Glilot Capital, Icon Ventures, ION Crossover Partners, Khosla Ventures, Lightspeed Venture Partners, M12, entrepreneur Shlomo Kramer, and Qumra Capital.
We are open to Actuaries or Risk Analysts with a deep understanding of insurance. As an Actuary or Staff Risk Analyst on the Risk Analytics team, you will be working under the risk function with talented team members in modeling, risk analytics, decision engine, insurance and tech product. You will report to the Risk Analytics Lead. Cyber insurance is a fast growing business, and At-Bay is one of the leaders of that growth, particularly from the risk and analytics side. Your work directly contributes to At-Bay’s risk assessment framework that helps with data-driven decisions involving millions of dollars of exposure. This is a multidisciplinary role that includes developing deep cyber and tech knowledge, business acumen, research, and analytical skills. This is also a hands-on operational role where you’ll see in house submission, quotes and binds and understand how each risk decision will impact on the business.
How you’ll make an impact:
By 3 months…
- You will have a full understanding of how Risk, Cyber Research, Security Services, and other teams operate at At-Bay
- You will have working relationships with key stakeholders and continually collaborate to identify opportunities
- You will have an understanding of the Cyber insurance market, and of the exposures and risks associated with it
- You will perform risk analysis to inform and support strategic decision-making around profitability and growth
- You will be able to calculate and understand/explain key metrics
- You will be able to independently navigate through the databases and dashboards/reports
By 6 months...
- You will be collaborating with the Product Team to recommend and propose risk actions based on monitoring and review of internal tools
- You will be proactively identifying anomalies, trends, and business opportunities, utilizing analyses such as loss cost reviews, macro industry trends, and impact of mix shifts & past actions
- You will be partnering with the Cyber Research team to identify emerging vulnerabilities in Cyber space, and regularly provide cyber risk insights and proposed actions for stakeholders
- You will be conducting deep dive analyses on historical loss & product experience, leveraging advanced analytical tools and data techniques.
- You will be helping improve the operational efficiency of the Risk team through automation and optimization.
What you’ve accomplished already:
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in Mathematics, Actuarial Science, Statistics, Data Science, or a related field
- 3+ years P&C experience in an insurance company/tech company/Insuretech/consulting company
- Actuarial experience, with ACAS to FCAS or other equivalent designation preferred
- Proven success in leading technical analytics projects from end to end, including communication of results
- Strong expertise with SQL, with working experience
- Strong expertise with Python and/or R, with working experience
- Strong data visualization and presentation skills, with working experience
- Experience with a BI tool, such as Tableau, Looker, Power BI, etc.
- Plus if you have direct Cyber, Tech E&O, Miscellaneous Professional Liability (MPL) experience.
- Driven, Team Player, Independent, Strong Sense of Ownership, Hungry for Intellectual Challenges, Concise, Results Driven, Bias Towards Efficiency
What you'll get
- A competitive salary, benefits package, equity
- Passionate, smart, and fun people to work with
- You will never lack for challenge, we are a unique blend of a tech startup, an international firm, and an insurance company
- Great office location in San Francisco