Senior Principal Software Engineer (Architecture)
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest.
In this role, you are the accountable technical leader for Affirm’s Architecture Group. In this capacity, you report to the VP of Engineering for Architecture. You own the architecture and technical roadmap for Affirm’s entire system, and help lead our efforts to design, build, and ship the next generation of Affirm’s technology platform. You will also support the VP of Engineering for architecture in leading the Architecture Group, which is a team of domain experts with leadership responsibility for all domains of Affirm’s architecture.
What You'll Do
- Drive the long-term technical vision and architecture of Affirm’s systems and Affirm’s products.
- Champion innovative, scalable, and delightful solutions across the engineering organization.
- Promote a strong culture of innovation, drive evaluation, development and roll out of new technologies/frameworks. Actively research, brainstorm, prototype, and present ideas.
- Establish architecture, technical design, and code review standards, coach team members to conduct effective design and code reviews. Ensure high programming standards, create best practices, and lead by example.
- Provide technical guidance and influence in all areas of Technology, including Engineering, Product, and Operations, as well as to the rest of the business.
- Lead technical teams to develop end-to-end solutions for complex problems, interfacing with multiple services and platforms, cross-functionally across the business, and with multiple external organizations.
- Partner with Product Management, provide technical input to shape product direction and roadmap.
- Lead the organization by hiring, coaching, managing, and supporting a team of senior engineering leaders in technical contributor roles.
- Foster a culture of technical excellence, humility, constant improvement, and rigor to build a team that can confidently tackle complex challenges across multiple technical domains.
- Provide leadership in development of a technical architecture and strategy for a complex and quickly growing business and serve a broader engineering team.
What We Look For
- Strong experience leading large engineering organizations, across multiple business and product lines, and multiple technology platforms, to deliver high quality software.
- Track record of successfully leading multiple engineering teams at both rapidly scaling startups and complex larger technology companies.
- Expertise in synthesizing complex technical requirements, designs, trade-offs, and capabilities into clear decisions, and track record of influencing both business and product direction.
- Ability to communicate decisions and practices to the technology organization effectively.
- Extensive experience building and owning large-scale, highly available product.
- Track record of successfully mentoring and developing technical leaders.
- 15+ years software engineering experience.
- Software Engineering senior management experience (Senior Manager or Director+) is a plus - the best candidates for this role have been successful in both senior IC and senior management roles
- Experience with Fintech and Retail industries for both B2C and B2B (merchants/affiliates) is a plus.
Location - Remote Canada
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company! The majority of our roles are remote and you can work almost anywhere within the country of employment. Affirmers in proximal roles have the flexibility to work remotely, but will occasionally be required to work out of their assigned Affirm office. A limited number of roles remain office-based due to the nature of their job responsibilities.
We have a simple and transparent remote-first grade-based compensation structure. Offer amounts within the range are based on a number of factors including but not limited to job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Across the broader organization, certain roles are eligible for equity awards upon hire, promotion, tenure milestones and for performance.
We’re extremely proud to offer competitive benefits that are anchored to our core value of people come first. Some key highlights of our benefits package include:
- Health care coverage - Affirm covers all premiums for all levels of coverage for you and your dependents
- Flexible Spending Wallets - generous stipends for spending on Technology, Food, various Lifestyle needs, and family forming expenses
- Time off - competitive vacation and holiday schedules allowing you to take time off to rest and recharge
- ESPP - An employee stock purchase plan enabling you to buy shares of Affirm at a discount
We believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.
Something looks off?