Senior Counsel, Employment
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest.
Affirm is looking for a thoughtful, collaborative, and skilled employment lawyer to join as Senior Counsel, Employment Europe, with primary responsibility for employment legal matters in Poland, Spain, and the United Kingdom. Reporting to the Associate General Counsel, Employment (in the United States), you will be an integral member of the Employment Legal team, and in a position to drive impact quickly. If you are nimble, comfortable switching contexts to support multiple sites across Europe, and enjoy working in a fast-paced environment, come join us in our mission to deliver honest financial products that improve lives!
What You'll Do
- Work cross-functionally to provide pragmatic advice and guidance on European employment matters, including, but not limited to, EU employment-related directives, employment-related privacy considerations, wage-and-hour policy implications, reasonable accommodations, performance management, employee relations and ethics investigations, leaves of absence, incentive compensation plans, separations, background checks, employee benefits, and payroll tax
- Draft and/or review employment agreements, policies, and internal and external communications
- Distill complex legal issues into helpful frameworks or reference guides for partners
- Collaborate and influence stakeholders through clear and action-oriented oral and written communications
- Develop and present trainings to managers and People Business Partners, as needed
- As needed, oversee and manage administrative claims, pre-litigation disputes and litigation, and outside counsel
- Assist with employment-related due diligence relating to mergers and acquisitions
- Monitor European legal developments and proactively educate key partners and Employment Legal team
- Work on special projects related to employment law, which could include areas outside of main jurisdictions
What We Look For
- A Magister’s degree in law from a reputable university
- Good standing member of the National Bar Council of Advocates or National Bar Council of Attorneys-at-Law in Poland
- English fluency in oral and written communications
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant legal experience, including experience as in-house counsel (preferably in a fast-paced environment and for a multinational company)
- Some experience with employment matters in Spain and/or the United Kingdom is preferred
- Some experience with other (non-employment) legal matters in Poland is preferred, such as intellectual property or corporate governance
- Laser-focus on client-service excellence by being highly proactive, responsive, adaptable, and team-oriented
- Demonstrated ability to develop solutions to complex legal matters without losing sight of business objectives
- Outstanding organizational skills to handle multiple projects simultaneously and effectively prioritize deadlines
- Excellent communication skills and attention to detail
- A good sense of humor, personal integrity, and intellectual curiosity
We offer a competitive package, with some highlights listed below. However, the given figures are not guaranteed compensation ranges; rather, they are unbinding, approximate indications of what the salary may be for your awareness. The actual salary may be less than the lower range or greater than the upper range, depending on skills and experience. No employee is guaranteed salary at the amount of the lower range.
- Targeted Gross Monthly Salary: 25,792PLN - 28,370PLN
- Flexible spending wallets for tech, food and lifestyle
- Generous time off policies
- Away Days - wellness days to take off work and recharge
- Learning & Development programs
- Parental leave
- Robust health benefits
- Employee Resource & Community Groups
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company! The majority of our roles are remote and you can work almost anywhere within the country of employment. Affirmers in proximal roles have the flexibility to work remotely, but will occasionally be required to work out of their assigned Affirm office. A limited number of roles remain office-based due to the nature of their job responsibilities.
We have a simple and transparent remote-first grade-based compensation structure. Offer amounts within the range are based on a number of factors including but not limited to job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Across the broader organization, certain roles are eligible for equity awards upon hire, promotion, tenure milestones and for performance.
We’re extremely proud to offer competitive benefits that are anchored to our core value of people come first. Some key highlights of our benefits package include:
- Health care coverage - Affirm covers all premiums for all levels of coverage for you and your dependents
- Flexible Spending Wallets - generous stipends for spending on Technology, Food, various Lifestyle needs, and family forming expenses
- Time off - competitive vacation and holiday schedules allowing you to take time off to rest and recharge
- ESPP - An employee stock purchase plan enabling you to buy shares of Affirm at a discount
We believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.
Something looks off?