Staff Software Engineer, Backend (Merchant Risk Intelligence & Platform)
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest.
The purpose of the Merchant Risk Intelligence & Platform (MRIP) team is to build functionalities that automate merchant risk assessment, throughout their lifecycle within Affirm. We create the necessary backend platform and by combining it with work of multiple other cross functional teams spanning all of Affirm, enable our ML engineers to build models that help automate decision making. Whether it’s about onboarding a new merchant, or constantly monitoring for trends, our team is responsible for making sure Risk is properly managed and the experience for merchants in the process is as smooth and thorough as possible.
What You'll Do
- Lead the backend stream of the MRIP team to execute on the roadmap
- Design & expand the backbone of our platform to scale from tens to hundreds of thousands of merchants from all around the world
- Work hand in hand with ML engineers to ensure an effective, accurate & explainable decision making process for merchants @ Affirm
- Design and align the scope of work with other teams to deliver cross-team projects
- Mentor and coach other backend engineers to ensure their development & growth
- Work closely with EM and PM to establish and execute the long-term vision of the team
- Work with our Product team to extend our core decisioning service; building new risk and fraud mitigation features
What We Look For
- 7+ years of experience as a software engineer
- A strong understanding of distributed systems and how architectural decisions affect performance and maintainability
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal. Must be proficient in asynchronous mode of communication–written tech specs, wiki, project plans, etc.
- Excellent technical leadership skills – high degree of organization and ability to surface critical information effectively
- Passion for working with multi-functional teams including Product, Design, Analytics and Business teams.
- Kotlin/Java development experience is a plus (AWS, Github, rpc2, Snowflake, Kotlin, python)
- Experience in building the backbone for data driven solutions is also a plus.
- Experience with AWS and/or other cloud providers is a plus
Compensation & Benefits
We offer a competitive package, with some highlights listed below. However, the given figures are not guaranteed compensation ranges; rather, they are unbinding, approximate indications of what the salary may be for your awareness. The actual salary may be less than the lower range or greater than the upper range, depending on skills and experience. No employee is guaranteed salary at the amount of the lower range.
- Targeted Gross Monthly Salary: 25 792 - 32 233 PLN
- Type of employment: Contract of Employment
- Flexible Spending Wallets for tech, food and lifestyle
- Generous time off policies
- Away Days - wellness days to take off work and recharge
- Learning & Development programs
- Parental leave
- Robust health benefits
- Employee Resource & Community Groups
- This role is eligible for creative tax benefits, subject to applicable law and company policy
Location - Remote Poland
The majority of our roles can be located anywhere in Poland.
**This job description is not a contractual document, and is not intended to have binding force.**
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company! The majority of our roles are remote and you can work almost anywhere within the country of employment. Affirmers in proximal roles have the flexibility to work remotely, but will occasionally be required to work out of their assigned Affirm office. A limited number of roles remain office-based due to the nature of their job responsibilities.
We have a simple and transparent remote-first grade-based compensation structure. Offer amounts within the range are based on a number of factors including but not limited to job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Across the broader organization, certain roles are eligible for equity awards upon hire, promotion, tenure milestones and for performance.
We’re extremely proud to offer competitive benefits that are anchored to our core value of people come first. Some key highlights of our benefits package include:
- Health care coverage - Affirm covers all premiums for all levels of coverage for you and your dependents
- Flexible Spending Wallets - generous stipends for spending on Technology, Food, various Lifestyle needs, and family forming expenses
- Time off - competitive vacation and holiday schedules allowing you to take time off to rest and recharge
- ESPP - An employee stock purchase plan enabling you to buy shares of Affirm at a discount
We believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.
Something looks off?