Staff Software Engineer, Backend (Developer Productivity)
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest.
Developer Productivity engineering’s purpose is to make work better for every engineer at Affirm. This group is responsible for development tooling, pre-Production environments, and everything that make working in a complex technical environment easier and more efficient. We are responsible for everything between the developer’s laptop all the way to production–everything in between including local development environments, CI/CD pipeline and workflow, test automation framework, Git branching, dependency management, and release engineering. We help developers write code and release into production as quickly and as safely as possible. Effectively serving a 1000+ strong engineering group working across a wide array of technologies in a hypergrowth Fintech environment is a fascinating challenge.
What You'll Do
- Leading and mentoring engineers to define and execute on a roadmap aligned with stakeholder needs
- Build scalable developer productivity solutions for Affirm Engineering that will scale from 1000 engineers to 3000.
- Design and develop innovative automated solutions that enable developers to stay productive as they continue to add product features and functionalities
- Create best-in-industry solution for build, CI, release workflow, deployment automation, and environment management.
- Understand, analyze usage of and drive improvements to developer journey
- Build tools that measure operational performance of all aspects of developer experience
- Collaborate with developers, architects and release engineering to keep overall development process efficient
- Stay abreast of industry trends for developer efficiency and cross-pollinate those ideas and processes with Affirm’s development processes
- Be a critical part of Affirm’s Platform Engineering team, the backbone of Engineering at Affirm
What We Look For
- 7+ years experience in software development
- Strong cross-team written and verbal communication and collaboration skills.
- Experience in creating and improving fundamental engineering processes
- Enthusiasm about providing a great experience to other software engineers
- Proficiency developing and debugging in one or more programming languages.
- Familiarity with CI/CD pipelines, BuildKite, Bazel, and tools
- Familiarity with build, test, and deploy automation, using gradle, maven, minikube.
- Python/Kotlin development experience is a plus.
- Experience with AWS and/or other cloud providers is a plus.
- Experience with Kubernetes or AWS ECS a plus.
- You understand the trade-offs between build and buy.
- You prefer automated processes over manual ones.
- Eagerness to learn new problem space, tools, and technology
Compensation & Benefits
We offer a competitive package, with some highlights listed below. However, the given figures are not guaranteed compensation ranges; rather, they are unbinding, approximate indications of what the salary may be for your awareness. The actual salary may be less than the lower range or greater than the upper range, depending on skills and experience. No employee is guaranteed salary at the amount of the lower range.
- Targeted Gross Monthly Salary: 25,791 - 32,233 PLN
- Type of employment: Contract of Employment
- Flexible Spending Wallets for tech, food and lifestyle
- Generous time off policies
- Away Days - wellness days to take off work and recharge
- Learning & Development programs
- Parental leave
- Robust health benefits
- Employee Resource & Community Groups
- This role is eligible for creative tax benefits, subject to applicable law and company policy
Location - Remote Poland
The majority of our roles can be located anywhere in Poland.
**This job description is not a contractual document, and is not intended to have binding force.**
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company! The majority of our roles are remote and you can work almost anywhere within the country of employment. Affirmers in proximal roles have the flexibility to work remotely, but will occasionally be required to work out of their assigned Affirm office. A limited number of roles remain office-based due to the nature of their job responsibilities.
We have a simple and transparent remote-first grade-based compensation structure. Offer amounts within the range are based on a number of factors including but not limited to job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Across the broader organization, certain roles are eligible for equity awards upon hire, promotion, tenure milestones and for performance.
We’re extremely proud to offer competitive benefits that are anchored to our core value of people come first. Some key highlights of our benefits package include:
- Health care coverage - Affirm covers all premiums for all levels of coverage for you and your dependents
- Flexible Spending Wallets - generous stipends for spending on Technology, Food, various Lifestyle needs, and family forming expenses
- Time off - competitive vacation and holiday schedules allowing you to take time off to rest and recharge
- ESPP - An employee stock purchase plan enabling you to buy shares of Affirm at a discount
We believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.
Something looks off?