Staff Software Engineer, Infrastructure (Traffic)
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest.
Affirm’s engineering team is building a large-scale, fault-tolerant, and global infrastructure that is shared across multiple financial products. Ensuring that our infrastructure is available to all engineers is critical to the success of the business. We pride ourselves on our culture across engineering of writing blameless postmortems as well as writing detailed tech specs and gathering feedback before making large changes to systems.
The Traffic team owns critical routing and traffic management infrastructure for all of Affirm. Our customers are not only Affirm's users, but also other engineering teams at Affirm. The team is responsible for building and exposing simple interfaces for managing and routing traffic securely. Examples of components we own include the CDN edge routing layer to cache and optimize requests to affirm.com, the RPC layer for internal service-to-service communication within and across our Kubernetes clusters, and our gateway and sidecar artifacts that control and route traffic.
What You'll Do:
- Design frameworks, services, and tools to support new capabilities that help Affirm scale for millions of users and their transactions
- Lead technical decisions, projects, and roadmaps within the team and across all of Affirm. Define and own Affirm’s north-south and east-west traffic strategies across our Kubernetes clusters to improve performance and availability
- Collaborate with other technical leads, management, and stakeholders across the broader engineering organization
- Bring subject matter expertise in networking - including but not limited to security, monitoring, intra-AZ flows and in-depth network performance observability
- Build self-serve systems that are easy for other Engineering teams to use and operate
- Educate, mentor and grow junior and senior engineers in the team, and drive high standards around design, coding and testing.
What We Look For:
- Experience designing and owning fault-tolerant, multi-region online backend systems
- Experience with cloud networking infrastructure systems including service meshes, CDNs, API Gateways, Load Balancers, DNS, WAFs, proxies, HTTP and best practices for providing high availability services
- Experience with Kubernetes and Cloud Native projects such as Envoy, gRPC, CoreDNS, Linkerd, Prometheus, ArgoCD, OPA, KEDA, etc as well as Istio and NGINX
- Strong CS fundamentals and hands on coding and debugging experience using modern software delivery methods to develop services using Python, Go, C++, or JVM-based languages (Java, Kotlin, Scala)
- 6+ years of professional engineering experience
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure Cloud, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), or other cloud providers.
- Experience with IaC platforms such as CloudFormation or Terraform is a plus
- You value keeping costs low while building your products
- You prefer using, enhancing, and contributing to Open Source solutions rather than building solutions from ground up.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, related technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience.
USA Pacific base pay range (CA, WA, NY, NJ, CT): $190,000 - $284,900
USA Sapphire base pay range (all other U.S. states): $171,00 - $256,500
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company! The majority of our roles are remote and you can work almost anywhere within the country of employment. Affirmers in proximal roles have the flexibility to work remotely, but will occasionally be required to work out of their assigned Affirm office. A limited number of roles remain office-based due to the nature of their job responsibilities.
We have a simple and transparent remote-first grade-based compensation structure. Offer amounts within the range are based on a number of factors including but not limited to job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Across the broader organization, certain roles are eligible for equity awards upon hire, promotion, tenure milestones and for performance.
We’re extremely proud to offer competitive benefits that are anchored to our core value of people come first. Some key highlights of our benefits package include:
- Health care coverage - Affirm covers all premiums for all levels of coverage for you and your dependents
- Flexible Spending Wallets - generous stipends for spending on Technology, Food, various Lifestyle needs, and family forming expenses
- Time off - competitive vacation and holiday schedules allowing you to take time off to rest and recharge
- ESPP - An employee stock purchase plan enabling you to buy shares of Affirm at a discount
We believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.
Something looks off?