Sr. Database Administrator/AWS Systems Engineer - Infrastructure Platform Operations
Who We Are
Addepar’s purpose is to maximize the positive impact of the world’s capital. More than 850 of the world’s leading financial services firms trust Addepar to unlock the power and possibility of informed, data-driven investing and advice. These family offices, wealth managers, banks and institutions use Addepar’s tech and data platform to deliver exceptional value to their clients in a modern, scalable and secure way.
Our clients use Addepar to manage and advise on more than $4 trillion in assets. Our board and investors are some of the best in the business: D1 Capital, WestCap, 8VC and Valor Equity Partners have led our last few rounds.
We’re now expanding Addepar’s business around the globe, with clients in more than 30 countries. We’re constantly doubling down on tech- and data-fueled innovation, and our product and platform roadmap is more ambitious today than ever. We place our clients at the center of everything we do, and see a virtually unlimited set of opportunities to expand our client footprint and deepen the value we can unlock by building together.
Addepar is a Forbes Fintech 50 company and an honored member of the CB Insights Fintech 250. Addepar embraces a global flexible workforce model with offices in Silicon Valley, New York City, Salt Lake City, Chicago, London, England, Edinburgh, Scotland and Pune, India.
*Marketplace and brokerage services provided by Acervus Securities, Inc., an SEC registered broker‑dealer and member FINRA / SIPC.
As Addepar's Database Administrator, you'll be ensuring the availability and reliability of Addepar's core production databases. You'll play a Supporting role in implementing and maintaining database administration. Addepar moves quickly, so it's vital that you ensure our databases are running at optimum speed and efficiency. This position involves critical duties and responsibilities that must continue to be performed during crises and contingency operations, which may necessitate extended hours of work. In this position, your responsibility will include system maintenance, configuration, deployment, and operations of database operations and database observability systems and tools. These systems include monitoring services and infrastructure, log collection and analytics, and Database Performance Monitoring (DPM). Together these systems and tools serve as a critical part of Addepar’s cloud infrastructure services. The ideal candidate will need to have a strong cloud platform, AWS database services, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Linux systems, and database operations experience, and demonstrate experience with database architecture and production workloads at scale.
Addepar takes a market-based approach to pay. A successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on the role, job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target base salary for roles in Colorado, California, and New York.
The current range for this role is $104,000 - $196,000 + bonus + equity + benefits.
Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process. Additionally, these ranges reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits.
What You’ll Do
- Support the administrative and operational ownership of Addepar's self-managed AWS-based database services, including MySQL and MongoDB.
- Work on database design, installations, and conversions responsible for database backup and recovery procedures.
- Responsible for access security and database integrity, data storage design, and data storage management.
- Create, operate and deliver KPI-focused database monitoring solutions and reports using enterprise-grade database observability methodologies and risk management processes.
- On-board Addepar databases and critical applications to enterprise observability tools and services across Addepar to enable monitoring and alerting with standard database tools.
- Fix and resolve database performance-related issues.
- Establish customized monitoring dashboards, thresholds, and alerting to drive performance for applications and support teams fully.
- Establish, document, and maintain database observability programs, including monitoring tools, support playbooks, and documentation to ensure there is continuous and accurate monitoring in production.
- Act as a domain administrator on database, logging, and other observability & visualization tools.
- Performance authority consultation and training services to our application development and platform support partners.
- Support the high availability and disaster recovery options of Addepar database instances - Always On availability and database replication are in place and active.
- Developing automated scripts for maintenance tasks.
- Build, update and maintain all database topology and architecture diagrams and documentation.
- Maintain, develop and report on metrics relative to Critical Incident Response Team activities for monthly business and flash reporting for senior leadership and internal business units.
- Work with a team of engineers to test your ideas and understand the system, and mentor junior team members.
- Build and maintain successful relationships with existing and prospective members, ensuring end-to-end observability of Addepar platform.
- Participate and lead efforts involving incident response and root cause analysis for site reliability engineering.
- Be on-call and available for rotational shift support for production issues.
- Participate, present, and speak to metrics and uptime performance data in management and executive-level debriefs, applying effective communication, collaboration, and leadership.
Who You Are
- Experience as a Database Administrator and AWS Linux System Engineer.
- You have an understanding of database design, caching, scalability, and network fundamentals.
- Experience with database performance, data protection management, and development to perform the following:
- Backup and recovery
- Disaster recovery planning
- Database security and access control
- Export/Import of heavy data loads
- Database monitoring
- Experience with public cloud providers: AWS is highly preferred.
- Experience with web application development.
- Experience with Linux/UNIX administration.
- General sysadmin skills including troubleshooting, issue resolution, and day to day operations.
- Experience troubleshooting AWS issues with base services such as RDS, EC2, S3, and networking.
- You possess user documentation skills, produced in a step-by-step manner, regarding every task.
- An understanding of and experience in product/project management and issue tracking systems (Jira, Smartsheets, Aha a plus)
- Demonstrated ability to operate in a high matrix environment and align to common vision, objectives, and outcomes.
Nice to Have
- Experience with incident alerting platforms (ex. Pagerduty).
- AWS Certified Database - Specialty.
- Experience developing pipelines using CICD tools: GitHub Actions and/or Jenkins.
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, Sensu, Prometheus, or other CNCF software.
- Experience with Terraform and other cloud based infrastructure management IaC
- Act Like an Owner - Think and operate with intention, purpose and care. Own outcomes.
- Build Together - Collaborate to unlock the best solutions. Deliver lasting value.
- Champion Our Clients - Exceed client expectations. Our clients’ success is our success.
- Drive Innovation - Be bold and unconstrained in problem solving. Transform the industry.
- Embrace Learning - Engage our community to broaden our perspective. Bring a growth mindset.
In addition to our core values, Addepar is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We seek to bring together diverse ideas, experiences, skill sets, perspectives, backgrounds and identities to drive innovative solutions. We commit to promoting a welcoming environment where inclusion and belonging are held as a shared responsibility.
To ensure the health and safety of all Addepeeps and our prospective candidates, we have instituted a virtual interview and onboarding experience.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Something looks off?