Corporate and Commercial Counsel
Corporate and Commercial Counsel | Acorns
Acorns is seeking an eager corporate attorney to add to our Legal team. The corporate and commercial counsel will report to the Associate General Counsel. The position will provide global legal support for the firm across a variety of corporate disciplines. The Corporate Counsel will have primary responsibilities in the areas of commercial contracts, equity management, corporate governance, and investor relations.
This is a one-of-a-kind opportunity for a junior to mid-level lawyer, with a passion for fintech and a desire to work with creative minds. This is not a dull assembly line type of legal job; at Acorns you will be on the front-line, interacting with senior leadership on a daily basis, and partnering with them to navigate opportunities and challenges in an ever-evolving environment. We are not just looking for a superbly talented lawyer; we need someone with a deep passion for the business and doing the heavy lifting of providing practical guidance every day on a variety of corporate legal issues.
This role has the option to be remote or based in our Irvine, CA or New York, NY offices.
You are not expected to have experience with all listed requirements, however experience negotiating commercial contracts is a must. If you feel passionately about Acorns' mission, vision and values, please apply.
With benevolence and courage, we look after the financial best interests of the up-and-coming; beginning with the empowering step of micro-investing.
Legal Team Mission:
With business-minded and strategic legal analysis, we look after the best interests of Acorns and its customers, beginning with excellent client service to its stakeholders.
What you will bring to Acorns:
- 3+ years of experience at a top-tier law firm or corporate legal department drafting commercial contracts and/or corporate transaction documents
- JD with strong academic credentials from accredited U.S. law school
- Admission in good standing with at least one state bar, preferably California or New York
- Ideally a broad corporate law experience with a concentration in commercial contract review and drafting as well as experience advising clients on a variety of general business matters
- Ability to work both independently and with a team, an eye for detail, a flexible legal mind and clear communication, interpersonal, writing, and analytic skills
- Proactively communicate issues back to leadership and drive thoughtful business, legal, and operational processes, and practices throughout the organization.
- Experience partnering (and developing rapport) with business teams in an evolving environment that requires sound judgment, excellent counseling skills, and ability to prioritize matters.
- Ability to manage numerous complex projects simultaneously and meet deadlines
- Experience working with equity management and corporate governance is a plus.
- An understanding of data protection/privacy requirements, including GLBA, GDPR and other data protection/privacy regimes, is a plus
- Assist in development and implementation of various legal templates, forms, communications, and operational systems to improve the delivery and scalability of legal resources to a global, distributed employee and customer base.
What we offer:
- Competitive salary, cash bonuses, and stock options
- A comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of you and your family
- Flexible paid time off
- Numerous career possibilities that allow you to grow with Acorns
- Talented and motivated team members who care deeply about one another, our mission and our customers.
- The rare opportunity to create a new world. We inspire one another every day to do meaningful work that solves big societal challenges.
Acorns is how everyday consumers save & invest for the long term. To date, customers have invested over $15 billion with Acorns, much of it in spare change. By putting the tools of wealth-making in everyone's hands, Acorns has become the largest subscription service in U.S. consumer finance, serving over 10 million everyday Americans. Customers get automated investing in diversified portfolios, a simple retirement product, a bank account that helps people spend less to invest more, and bonus investments from 20k brands. Plus, everyday Americans can easily invest in their kids and get money news they can use, all from the same app. From acorns, mighty oaks do grow!
Commitment to a diverse community:
Acorns is committed to building a diverse community of customers, partners, and team members. We believe that fostering diversity not only fuels creativity, but also challenges conventional thinking and helps us properly represent the unique experience of the everyday consumer that we serve.
- Lead with heart
- Make bold decisions
- Always build trust
- Never stop growing
- Find a way
The pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $103,000 and $125,000/year; however, base pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a sign-on bonus, equity grants, and discretionary cash bonus awards in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave), dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment.
If hired, employee will be in an “at-will position” and the Company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, Company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.